blogcasting
How To Podcast Using Just Blogger.com
Create a new blog or use an existing one. Use this code in your blog's Template, this should be the ONLY code in the Template, if there is anything else things might go bad for you on some podcasting apps. To reiterate, clear EVERYTHING ELSE out of your template and place this in there. This will turn the output of your blog into a straight up podcast ready bit of RSS. If you love how your blog looks now you may want to start a new blog just for the podcast, blogger.com being the never ending supply of blogspaces.


<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0" dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
<channel>
<title><$BlogPageTitle$></title>
<link><$BlogURL$></link>
<description><$BlogDescription$></description>
<language>en-us</language>
<copyright></copyright>
<lastbuilddate></lastbuilddate>
<blogger>
<item>
<blogitemtitle><title><$BlogItemTitle$></title></blogitemtitle>
<blogitemurl><link><$BlogItemUrl$></link></blogitemurl>
<description><$BlogItemBody$></description>
<pubdate><blogdateheader><$BlogDateHeaderDate$></blogdateheader></pubdate>
<blogitemurl><enclosure url="<$BlogItemUrl$>" length="666" 
      type="audio/mpeg"/> </blogitemurl>
<guid><$BlogItemPermalinkURL$></guid>
</item>
</blogger>
</channel>
</rss>


1) In the Settings/Publishing section give the blog filename a .xml extension. For example nameofyourpodcast.xml When you need to give people or podcasting apps the url for the podcast feed you give them http://nameofyourblog.blogspot.com/nameofyourpodcast.xml
2) On the Settings/Site Feed sectoin ensure "Publish Site Feed" is set to OFF. You heard right, we do not want this to go thru the Feed process becuase the code we put in the Template is doing that already.
3)In the Settings/Formatting section of your blogs setup make sure the TITLE and LINK options are turned on.

Now you are ready to start making some podcasting magic. When you make a new blog entry...

  • TITLE will become the title of the podcast item
  • LINK will become the url that will get stuffed into the Enclosure and Link tags
  • The body of your blog entry will become the podcast item's Description.
  • The date of the blog entry will become the pubDate
  • The PermaLink number will become the podcasts item GUID

    The header will include some values that come right out of your blogs Basic settings.


    A few things to take in mind

  • I had to fudge the file size in the enclosure tag, I set it to 666 in honor of our reelected bubaya.

  • We can use the blogger interface to generate the podcasting file and have it hosted for free on blogspot with a little bit of ugly cruft at the top of the file. This is from the banner code that is inserted by the blogger.com servers/ The good news is it does not see to bother bashpodder and a few other podcasting apps I have had reports of from others; I would be interested to hear of other podcasting apps ability to handle it or not. An example of this to test your podcasting app on is my Jean Shepherds Fathead Podcast.

  • Some of my blogs have the option to turn off the banners. Why? It might be because I paid for adfree blogspots way back in the pre google buy out era. The banners can also be turned off if you host the resulting file some where else via FTP or SFTP. If we host it on a non blogspot site, or use one of the blogs on blogspot with the magic bit set to turn off the banners, we get crystal clear podcasting code. An example of this to test is the orginal podcast test I did up while working out this template. But as I mentioned above, all the podcasting apps I have heard used on the resulting code worked even with the banner code in it. Sure Dave Winer might come and smack you with a trout for abusing the purity of his idea, but I say whats life without some excitement.

  • There are other tags that can be added to the template. Go crazy, have fun and please post back your versions here.




    Friday, January 21, 2005
     
    A couple of feedback have mentioned the generator tag. Sounds like a good one to add to the template.

    Another feedback mentioned that the lastBuildDate tag is empty. Well yes it is. Lets see what blogger templare variable we can stuff in there.


    Comments:
    I've tried what you described, but I can't get my feed to work. I'm using iPodder X lite.

    http://brianpodcast.blogspot.com/atom.xml
     
    Well you actualy DID made it work, your just using the wrong URL to get to the results.

    Just use http://brianpodcast.blogspot.com/

    Thats it, that is what points to the feed, that is the feed. Publish that as your podcast feed to other sites.
    Put it in your podcatching app of choice and let it run.

    Congrats
     
    Do I need to CLEAN the whole template in my new blog at Blogger.... ?(sorry, I´m a newbie) I´ve tried doing so, but I don´t seem to get it...
    Thank you!

    Rita
     
    Something which had me foxed for ages, and which might we worth mentioning here.

    I have had a blog for a while and am used to producing RSS feeds from blogger. When I read these instructions my head was still thinking "syndicaiton feed" and as a result the output from my blog was still going to "index.html" and the feed I thought was going to include the ENCLOSURE tags was called blog.xml.

    The people at feedburner were therefore failing to turn the RSS feed file I was pointing them at into something usable, whereas the index.html file was quite usable.

    I now realise that these instructions are for producing ONLY a feed using the main blogger functions and Site Feed generation should be disabled. So.....it might be worth adding the following instructions to make it clear for thickkies like me.

    1) In the Settings/Publishing page of Blogger, give the blog filename a .xml extension.

    2) On the Settings/Site Feed page of Blogger, ensure "Publish Site Feed" is set to OFF

    Hope that helps to avoid some others the hours of frustration and headscratching I have been having here.
     
    Thanks for all the comments. I tweeks the instructions to reflect the ideas you folk posted. Please keep up the tweeking, it helps

    -tom
     
    How the hell can you give the blog filename an xml extension? It only allows you to give the section between "http://" and ".blogspot.com" .
     
    Has anyone successfully gotten their blogcast to work?
     
    It worked!!! It totally worked. Thank you Tom. I just got into downloading podcasts about a month ago and decided it was something I wanted to try. Thanks for giving me step by step on how to publish my podcasts.

    I will say one thing about your instructions. I followed them to the letter and once I got to the end I was totally at a loss on how to actually upload my MP3 file or attach the URL at which my MP3 file is located to the blog post. I had to read the comments to figure out that the MP3 URL link goes in the Link field under Title on the blog post. I didn't really get that at first.

    The other thing is in your instructions it states that the URL one should put in their podcasting software (in my case Ipodder) should be the URL of their blog plus a forward slash plus the name of their blog post plus the extension xml. Well that did not work. And as I read the comments I figured out that I was only suppose to put the URL of my blog. Once I did that Ipodder visited teh URL and listed my individual blog post as an "episode" to be downloaded.

    Tom, thanks so much for showing me how to do this. This is so great. Now let's just see if I can make some decent content available.

    For others who are even newer to this than me you might want to mention in the initial instructions that it is necessary to store one's MP3 podcast on some remote server someonewhere. I'm using server space that I purchased from Yahoo. But when I first read your instructions I thought there was a way to actually UPLOAD the MP3 as some sort of attachment to my blog post.
     
    Tom, where on the Internet are your podcasts located. As I stated in my last post I put a test mp3 on server space that I purchased on yahoo briefcase. When I added my blog URL as a subscription to Ipodder it deed indeed go to the blog and list my latest post as the most recent podcast. But for some reason when it comes to downloading the podcast it is not working. Now I know the URL it pasted into the Link field works because when I go to my post management page and click on the link, it opens a dialogue box that asks me if I want to play the mp3 or save it to disk. So I don't know why it isn't downloading on Ipodder.

    It doesn't really matter because there is a size limitation on files I can upload to my yahoo briefcase. That is why I originally asked where on the Internet you are storing the mp3 files for your podcast.
     
    Hey Tom. Nice tutorial. I have taken your code and modified it a bit to fit into my blogger template. You can see an example here. You can also view the modifications I have made to your code here.
     
    This is really great. Thanks!
     
    I am lost as to where to put the xml on the setting/publish page, I try to add it but the only two options I see are for blogspot address and notfy weblogs, what am i missing??? When i try to change the address it says that it will not allow me to do it. I don't get what is wrong. Please email me at g7whatever@gmail.com with instruction. Thanks so much.
     
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
     
    You rock! This saved me days of work. Thanks a ton!
     
    I'm a Mac person (please don't lecture me) and I use iTunes.

    That said, it seems to be working EXCEPT (and they're biggies):

    1) Although the podcast feed and individual messages appear in iTunes, the Descriptions (content of blog entries) do not appear.

    2) iTunes can't open the entries. I'm using a link that begins with http://www etc. rather than ftp:// . iTunes tells me that the file format is not compatible. But I'm following Apple's instructions for saving the file in MP4 ACC format.

    I'm baffled. Anyone successfully using this to feed iTunes? Can you give me some clues?
     
    ok so this template does not work right with iTunes, but when I downloaded iPodder I was able to get it to subscribe to my blog and even download the link to my mp3 file....but when it down loads it says that it is 0.0mb. So it followed the link to my mp3 file but it is not downloading. So what am I still doing wrong, do I need to tweak the link to my mp3 files so iPodder actually downloads them or do I need to tweak my blog to point to my file differently. The second question is if I add a new file weekly do I make a new blog for each Podcast or just a new post for each new file??? ANy info would be great. Thanks
     
    Any ideas on getting it to work with iTunes?

    I got it to work great with iPodder, and with Some Desi's modifications (put it into a form and then a textarea and you can still have the pretty look of the blog, and you can click on the title to listen to the mp3 without subscribing).
     
    I came across you blog and thought you may find this site usefull. It has gas saving tips and where to find cheap gas. download msn messenger

    :)
     
    Blog Spammer, please die horrible deaths
     
    the World Wide Web is home to a great number of marketing opportunities that you could avail of,
     
    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a marketing matrix payout safelist site/blog. It pretty much covers marketing matrix payout safelist related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our marketing matrix payout safelist tools.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
     
    Want to turn off the banner? It's debatable whether it's allowed, but it's easy to do. Just add this code to the beginning of your template:

    <noembed>
    <head>
    </noembed>

    Hopefully this won't break any podcasting clients. I haven't tried it yet.
     
    my email is s0ylentblue4@gmail.com

    please help if anyone has a chance, i am trying to incorporate audioblogger into a podcast.

    the information here does not seem to work right.

    the page looks all funny which is fine, but its not working.

    i cant change the xml setting by going to ftp, because i have no hosting, i am trying to do this straight from blogger.
     
    Too complicated for me....are there people that actually do this for a living?
    Anne
    RushPRnews, press release services and distribution at www.rushprnews.com
     
    Tom,

    I would like to use your how-to in a book on podcasting and video-blogging I'm working on. Could you contact me? lionel @ carhacks.org

    -L
     
    so in essence, you can't really use blogger and host on blogger to have a podcast.

    kinda defeats the purposes ... oh well, I'll delete my blogger a/c and do my own thing.
     
    Hi I like your blog, you can visit my web page if you like.business home observetodo1.myeweb.net opportunity workhttp://www.moneywebpage.combusiness home observetodo1.myeweb.net opportunity work
     
    Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
    If you have a moment, please have a look at my alex job search site.
    Good luck!
     
    Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
    If you have a moment, please have a look at my alex job search site.
    Good luck!
     
    Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
    If you have a moment, please have a look at my part time business from home site.
    Good luck!
     
    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
    I have a stock trading software site.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
    Greetings.
     
    Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
    Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
    If you have a moment, please take a look at my stock market ticker site.
    Have a great day!
     
    A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
    If you have a moment, please visit my stock investment advice site.
    I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
     
    A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
    If you have a moment, please visit my stock investment advice site.
    I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
     
    I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
    Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
    I have a stock brokers site.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
    Best regards!
     
    No one ever said it would be perfect. But that's what they said about Become Day Trader, isn't it?
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger